You have probably heard of MCT Oil in the health news lately. It is used as an ingredient in Bulletproof Coffee. Some people are rubbing on their face before bed (?!) So what the heck is it and should you be taking it?
What is it?
MCT oil (medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil) is a supplement that is at times added into bulletproof coffee, hot drinks, dressings, and smoothies.
MCT oil contains MEDIUM length chains of triglycerides (aka fats). These fats are a shorter length than other fats, and because of that your body digests them differently (in a better way). This is where the health benefits come into play.
Where does it come from?
The most common source of MCTs are coconut and specifically coconut oil. More than half of the fat in coconut oil comes from MCTs. MCTs can also be found in palm oil and various dairy products.
What are the benefits?
MCT Oil provides numerous health benefits with little potential risk.
1. Promotes Weight Loss by releasing the hormones leptin and peptide YY, which cause us to feel full.
2. Provides a quick source of energy in a form other than glucose. Because of the way it is broken down, MCT oil can be converted into energy quicker than different fats. If you are avoiding carbohydrates, this can be a very powerful tool when instant energy is needed.
3. Promotes using fat cells for energy. Because the body is using the MCTs for energy, it gets used to using fat as fuel. When you are exercising, your body is more likely to use the stored fat as energy because of the new habit you have developed for you body!
4. Fight yeast and bacterial growth. The fatty acids in MCT oil have been shown to be antimicrobal and antifungal. This may lead to a healthier gut. Healthier gut=better digestion=more energy=better performance in life.
5. Helps control blood sugar levels. Fueling your mind and body with MCTs will help stabilize your blood sugar levels. Varying blood sugar levels can lead to diabetes and other serious health issues. Setting a baseline for your blood sugar and minimizing the spikes helps prevent this.
6. MCT Oil is KETO Friendly! In fact, it is recommended to have MCT oil as an energy boost when on a keto diet. It also helps your body understand how to burn fat as fuel. It will increase ketone production and promote fat burning on a ketogenic diet.
How Much Should I Have?
1 tablespoon is plenty to start with. Your body may take a few days to adjust to a new fuel source. Take up to 2 tablespoons as needed once your system is used to it.
How Should I eat it?
I like to add it to a cup of coffee. The caffeine and the MCTs give my brain a boost in the AM. I don't have it every day, but rather when I need to focus on something or really have my brain dialed in. Feel free to mix it with a smoothie, in a salad dressing, your favorite hot beverage, or just gulp a spoonful down!
Where Should I buy it?
As with any supplement, you should be very careful with the source. Many supplements are full of fillers, made unethically, or of very poor quality. I have tried many brands, and the one I stick with is Natural Force Organic MCT Oil. The quality is superb, it does not irritate my stomach like others have previously, and the brand guarantees the sustainability of harvesting it. Not to mention is comes in a glass bottle which eliminates plastic waste :)
Give MCT oil a shot. The potential benefits are numerous and the risks are low. Let me know how it goes!
***If you decide to to take MCT oil as a supplement, please consult with your physician/health care professional. I am no doctor, and this strategy works for me but it may not work for you.***